Re:

Yeah, CNN headline News is owned by AOL-TimeWarner – the *TOP* story this am is the reported rumor that AOL is in talks to buy Red Hat.

There has got to be something better to talk about.

Although this makes me worry that there’s going to be an announcement later today. Otherwise, I don’t expect CNN-HN would be reporting on it so heavily.

Bleck.

10 Responses to Re:

1. cordett says:

what’s Red Hat?

2. ryeth says:

Doug is one of Red Hat’s core developers… :/

Red Hat is a local company that produces Red Hat Linux – a version of the Linux OS that, IMHO, kicks arse.

My system at home doesn’t run Windows, it runs Linux, and I’ve not had to reboot because of a system error in a long, long time. I’ve had to reboot because of user error, but that’s a different story.

Useful Linux links :
    Red Hat
    Linux.com
    Triangle Linux User’s Group (the LUG I run)

If you want more info, ask. *grin*

I’m well aware of that – His work on the Netcraft survey is legendary, and in my limited dealings with him, he’s a hell of a developer.

If the deal goes down, depending on the terms, it could be *VERY* good for y’all.

As a long term RH stockholder, I’ll be looking at the terms of the deal pretty closely, too. Because I don’t want all of my RH (y’all and bascha harris at the top of the list) friends, or my distro of choice, or my retirement fund, to get screwed over by AOL-TimeWarner-Turner-Compuserver-Netscape…

5. ryeth says:

I’m apprehensive about it just because it involves change. Doug’s really happy with his job as it is & you never know if ownership change would alter things. Also you just never know about how it might effect the stock price etc…

BTW, this seems like an incredibly unnecessary thing to say… but since you know Bascha (whom doesn’t really like me – long story) I feel like I should request you don’t mention the more strange details of my life to anyone at RH (specifically my job.) No one at his work knows what I do & we want to keep it that way. I don’t see why you would, but just in case I thought I’d mention it.

I can do that. Actually, I already do that – anthing not listed as “public” is off limits. Always has been, always will be. Other than that, I’ll keep my mouth shut *grin*.

7. cordett says:

Ok I’ll have to look at the links later, but this is a bad thing why? because AOL sucks arse? Is it going to result in potential performance issues, or is it strictly a business thing?

AOL bought & killed netscape
    AOL bought & killed compuserve

Both are still around, but neither had fulfilled the promise that customers expected from the purchase (i.e. CompuServe hasn’t gotten any improvements, and netscape 6.x a browser based add for AOL). I can only imagine what they’d do to my Operating system.

From a Biz POV, it’s probably good for stock holders (like myself).

But 10 to 1 they move the RH core people/technologies to another site, and shut down the Red Hat HQ here in NC. More than one friend is getting their resume in order, since they’d rather be unemployed than work for AOL. And I have a lot of friends there.

9. ryeth says:

Much appreciated ;)

10. cordett says:

Yeah, AOL sucks. I can’t believe they’re so successful when I haven’t met a single person who likes them. Well, you have my condolensces (sp?). Hopefully they won’t screw things up too bad…