Of course…

…I may have been up late because I was updating my resume. When you get an email saying paychecks will be late for the second time in a row, you start to wonder. Especially if this hasn’t happened in the past few years of employment.

Question is, is it PayChex or the company?

I’ve been starting to get the “almost time to change jobs” itch, but this time, I’m listening. I cannot afford to be out of work right now. If it’s PayChex, I won’t be surprised (as I’ve had bad dealings with them in the past. If it’s the company (which is my gut feeling), I’d rather be ready than caught with my pants down.

Renee seems to think that the money problems are temporary, and will clear up after we take care of some debts. but she’s never been so poor that she’s had to decide between doing laundry and buying cheap bread & ramen (because you can’t afford anything else). I have.

And I remember, and even if I didn’t learn from that experience (i.e. how to budget properly), I have a lot more riding on things now. And it’s not fair to put the kids through that because Renee and I fucked up, or because of unexpected expenses (i.e. Damien’s surgery), or because I lost my job and wasn’t ready for it.

So maybe I’m getting twitchy for no reason. Maybe everything will be fine. But there’s this feeling I just can’t shake, and it’s better to listen and sound paranoid, than to blindly ignore it and screw over the kids.

Anyone need a Java Developer?

I need coffee. Thank the gods that that’s cheap.

17 Responses to Of course…

1. ex_redsonja442 says:

It’s there for a reason, to warn you and protect you. Any time I’ve ignored mine, I’ve been very sorry.

I know poverty too, and once you’ve been there and gotten out of it you never, ever want to go back. Eviction notices, utilities shut off, no a/c in the dog days of summer, washing clothes by hand in the tub with hand soap cause you have no money for the laundry machines, living on ramen noodles, bread and peanut butter, hoping the holes in your shoes aren’t as obvious as you think they are. And in this state if you can’t pay your car insurance they revoke your license and even arrest you (happened to a friend of mine…she didn’t pay on time and they threw her in jail!) Everyone is trying to force you to pay and you have nothing to pay *with* and then of course you get really sick and can’t go to the doctor because you can’t pay them. My entire childhood was like that. Let your wife read this if she doesn’t think it can really happen.

Go with your instinct. It’s there to save you.

2. moonfl0wer says:

wow. good luck. try not to panic. but it sounds like you’re doing the right thing by being prepared.

it also sounds like your kitty is really doing well–and the fact that he hangs out on your chest in the morning (no matter how irritating!) means that he really, really loves you! that’s gotta make you feel good–cat-love is hard to come by. :)

oh…and your book came in yesterday. ;) i called and talked to renee. i won’t be back in the store until saturday afternoon…but you can pick it up whenever!

3. badger says:

You could claim I’m biased, but I don’t think I am, really. Paychecks being late is one of the classic warning signs of a company in deep deep trouble. if Paychex was the sticking point, it’d be more plausible if the first late one hadn’t arrived yet. If I were you I’d be actively looking for something else. You don’t even have to take it, just look. But start now.

4. pam says:

Yeah, being poor sucks. I think there’s a little hope though, if you are short on money because you are paying off debts. Because eventually you’ll have them paid off. That’s my current situation. ETA to debt free: 4 years. Sigh. But then I’ll have a LOT more money to spend :-). Or SAVE, which is what I need to do.

*HUGS* Good luck in your job situation…

5. detritus says:

My last two paychecks at my last job was delivered by mail instead of directly deposited, i don’t know what was really going on, but it was definitly an indication.

I don’t know what I could do, but if you need anything let me know..

Yeah, so far, my instincts ahve been spot on :
    Time to move to NYC and take Renee with me
    Time to move back to NC
    Time to have a kid
    Time(s) to change jobs
    Time to buy another house
    Time to have another kid

So far, so good. *grin*

Yeah. And he’s not as iritating as I make it sound. He’s really a good kitty.

And renee said, but I can’t do anything about the book until my paycheck comes in Monday. And even then, this will be a splurge. *sigh* Brownbagging for a week so I can buy the book, y’know?

Yeah, I already sent some feelers out to MAO. She’s gonna send me some stuff to my non-webZ account, also said UNC was looking for a tech writer. Might be worth checking out.

Oh yeah. Debts. And we can probably reduce our monthy expenses (back to 56K dialup, drop the Dish, food lion brand everything, potty train Ray, drastcially reduce or drop cell phone services) if we try hard. But those take time to really make an impact, and we gotta buy groceries tonight, y’know?

Uh, yeah. Although I had my paycheck bounce once when I was at the radio station. It’s time to leave when they tell you “it says it’s good today, but don’t actually deposit it until [date]”

11. badger says:

Hmm, could be interesting. Might have to find out about that.

12. pam says:

:( Do you need anything?

On a side, but possibly related note, would you and Renee like to come over for dinner sometime? I am getting into this whole dinner party thing. Kinda old fashioned, but it usually turns out fun.

We’re fine for now – March might be interesting, though *grin*

And a dinner party sounds fun, but finding a sitter is still tough. A dinner party with the kids would be…interesting.

Although Ray loves “Mr. TomSpot”…

14. pam says:

Heh. Tom says he could probably tolerate the kids for 30 minutes or so… :-)

How about after we move (we move the 16th)? Although if you help us move, we’re buying everyone dinner….. ;-)

15. spot says:

she puts words in my mouth, i swear. ;) i said “sure, thats fine by me.”

Get used to it *grin*. Renee has been interpreting for me for years….