The pain and horror

Posted by yours truly to a sort-of-closed list this evening.
————————————-

> I would strongly suggest that -noone- jump in and say ‘this thread
> is dead’ or anything, as that will further inflame the issue.

How about we just modify the subject to read “Whiny Bitches (was:…)”
instead.

Let me be blunt: this is a monthly thing. Someone has to bitch about
something every month, and then it gets blown out of shape, and then I
get annoyed, and I swear, if I didn’t give a shit about this group I’d
just sign it over to someone else, hand the big box of chair to CK,
un-subscribe myself from everything and walk. but I do care, so there ya
go.

Hell, I might anyway, ’cause I’m sick of this kind of bullshit. I’m
gonna sleep on it, and we’ll see tomorrow.

7 Responses to The pain and horror

1. flavor says:

maybe i’m being overly simplistic, but i really do think filtering at each end user so they see what they want and not what they don’t is really viable. *shrug* It was definitely a method for getting S/N back up to a decent level with my lkml example, but I think it’d apply here as well.

Guess that’s just me :)

2. badger says:

It is, but it requires work/thought/time on the end-user’s part. The original “can y’all go off somewhere and talk where I can’t hear you?” is to me the rough equivalent of the unsubscribe requests I often see posted to maillists.

3. katzj says:

I’ve noticed that about the trilug list, and it’s a large part of the reason I unsubscribed a few years ago. And it happens everywhere, not just the trilug list. I just spent the past roughly two hours dealing with one of the #redhat ops whose ego got bruised by someone earlier and is trying to rationalize it away.

I just tend to ignore it to some degree now. Let people vent, it makes them feel better in the long run.

I do have to say that I think that splitting the trilug list into lots of little lists isn’t the right answer… I for one at least am not going to subscribe to a lot of little side lists so every side list that gets created means that questions on that topic won’t get any input from me if the discussion is on the side list. And I’m probably not the only one who feels that way. Then again, I get a ridiculous amount of mail per day (on the order of 800 or more mails a day) and so have gotten good at optimizing my mail reading so that threads I don’t care about don’t take much time.

I belong to quite a few lists, and I have to say, trilug does this with assinine regularity. I’ve not seen a monthly bitchfest on [email protected], DULUG, RTSFS, Internetworkers, DuraCon, or coup. I’ve seen semi-anual ones on some apache.org lists, but these usually peter out in a very short time.

So what makes TriLUG so special? I know why the Real Linux People(TM) in the area don’t participate – they want to use Linux, not bitch about how the org is run.

Solution? Ain’t got one, except to knock heads, again. Maybe I’m living part of my dream of being a school teacher after all – but not as the teacher – as the hall monitor.

That’s not the point, though, is it? *I* can’t just ignore people, as the person who’s nominally in charge.

The piont is, this bunch seems to break into quabbles over small things on a pretty regular basis. Elections are coming up, and I expect to see some quabbles about *THAT* process next.

At least this LJ discussion is letting me think though the problem – not the current discussion, that’s an easy fix – the regular quabbles that happen on list. Figuing out how to prevent them in the future is the hard part.

And most people, rathere than add the filter, will just go somewhere else – by unsubscribing. *sigh*

7. katzj says:

A lot of that is the personality of the people as far as I can tell. Because I’ve seen it on other lists (ever been on a debian list for example? :-)