5:30 am – again

This time stressing over TriLUG tonight.

I’m writing a note to the SC saying I’m cutting back on my TriLUG in favor of my family. Which is mostly true.

I won’t tell them about the disappointment in Renee’s face and voice when I told her I would be going, even for a short while, tonight. To be honest, i don’t event feel like doing that little bit, but I’ve got to deliver the Big Box at the very least.

11 Responses to 5:30 am – again

1. detritus says:

How much of your trilug burnout is related to C.H. being involved?

A little, but not all. Some is work related, some is family related, and a *LOT* is related to the semi-regular arguments over stupid shit (both on the main list, and amongst the SC).

Mostly it’s because it really started to be less and less fun in January/February, and it’s been going downhill since. It’s at the point where I’m not really interested in opening up my TriLUG mail folders, or even looking at the IRC chan. Tanner really, really wants me to come to the LUg lunches, and I’m just not interested. *sigh*

3. badger says:

Good for you.¯

4. ratnix says:

Everyone’s favorite list nazi^Wmommy. glurf.

There’s about a half-dozen reasons it’s 5 til 7 and I’m not even thinking about heading toward the Park tonight, and CH is one. Not that that should be any big surprise from me. I can totally sympathize on the disinterest at large, though. Something seems missing, but hell if I know what it is.

Maybe we’re getting old.

Probably. No challenge at meetings. No Evangelism. One of the things I like about my job is I get to evangelize daily, you know? I feel like I’m actually fighting the Forces of Evil, and changing the world.

TriLUG has just seemed…petty in recent months. You know?

And yeah, I totally agree on the getting old thing. Having kids doesn’t help me on that score any….

6. detritus says:

I must have hit my “old” level of bullshit tolerance (or lack there of) early.

I am this =><= close to saying something assholish about his new .sig.

7. ratnix says:

That and all the Monty Python bullshit.
    Oh, I was hovering over ^X with my reply. When I snap, my reply -will- include “Christ on His cross,” just to see him twitch.

Dear TriLUG:

During meetings, shut up. If I can’t hear Steve Burnett speak, you’re too loud.
    On the list, shut up. If I have to read your lunch plans and MY PERL SKRIPT IS 1 LINE, you’re too loud.

Hate^WLove,
    -Rat

8. detritus says:

That or “jesus cries everytime you post a sig longer than your message.”

“You are not funny. You are not special. Your recycled geek humor is not endearing.
    During meetings, shut up. If I can’t hear Steve Burnett speak, you’re too loud.

You are my new trilug hero.

9. clubjuggler says:

Ok, so I followed the link you recently posted about your brother-in-law, and then was curious so started back-reading your journal until I came to this. And, I just wanted to say that whatever I did to cause you stress back when, well, I apologize. I know all that stuff happened a long time ago and you’ve probably forgotten about it now, but I just wanted to let you know, because I actually do like to consider you a friend.

And, the ironic part… Before I followed your link I actually did have the thought that it had been way too long since I’d had lunch with you. :-) Anyway, I hope things are going better for you lately.

It was never about you. It was about the situation.

At the time, I had reached the point where I just didn’t want to deal with anything LUG related. I look back now and realize that early 2002 is about the time I actually started having burnout and depression issues, and this was one way for me to try to reduce my stress.

And in retrospect, you were one of the reasons I knew it was OK to leave. I had just burned out having to deal with Hedemark’s bullshit on top of everything else that had been going on – and you and Mike (at the very least) were able to keep him in check. Four years later, I know I made the right decision, because the LUG really flourished under your leadership, and the leadership of the other SC members since then.

You’ve alwasy been a friend. Never doubt that. I just needed a LONG break from the LUG. Admittedly, my priorities changed since then, and Linux is no longer a passion (blame Red Hat for that), so I’m not gonna be showing up any time soon. *grin*

Yes, we need to do lunch. Now, to figure out my schedule for December *smirk*

11. clubjuggler says:

Yeah, I know it wasn’t about it, but I do know that my hot-headedness at times probably caused you more grief than you needed. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know.

Mike, btw, was really the one that steered TriLUG right after you left. I tried to follow his inspiration when I ended up as Chair. And, as you say, TriLUG has flourished. I hope they continue to do so.

BTW, speaking of Linux no longer being a passion, how’s the MacBook Pro working out? :-)

Just let me know when’s good for lunch. (Any day except Wed or Thu is probably good for me.) I wonder if I could grab enough time to make it up to Sarah’s Empanads…