Litterary Urges

I’m having a mad urge to read some classic fiction/fantasy. I’ve never read any of the Burroughs originals, Howard’s Conan series, or any of Haggard’s books.

Unfortunately, I cannot buy omnibus collections, like my shelf-bending “The Complete Sherlock Holmes” of any of these – I’d love to ahve a single volume with all of tarzan, or all of the Mars series, or the 3 “She” books, or the complete Alan Quartermain.

6 Responses to Litterary Urges

1. badger says:

Oh come on, there’s eleven of the Burroughs Mars books. Come to think of it, there’s eleven in the Horatio Hornblower non-sf series.

Have you looked at a complete Sherlock Holmes? All stories and novels? it’s not a easily moved book, but for the sake of completeness is a nice volume to ahve on my bookself.

I can see the Mars books being a bit more problematic, but a library collection is do-able. As it stands, I may have a line on a 1928 “Complete Works of H. R. Haggard” on ebay. I’m just owndering how complete the works are.

3. badger says:

Have you looked at a complete Sherlock Holmes?
    Every time I walk into the library room :). Completeness is great, but the ease of use of split volumes can be nice, which is why I tend to pull one of the paperbacks out of my boxed set of Holmes when I feel like reading them. It’s not as though I want to read the entire sequence in one sitting anyway. You should be able to find most of the Mars books in a couple of used bookstores, which you don’t work far from and could hit over lunch :).

heh. I keep forgetting that asking you about owning a book is akin to asking the Pope if he’s read the Bible *grin* I need to visit and see the new library at some point.

As to used bookstores, my old job was apparently better for this genre – Second FOudnation has a much better (and targeted) selection than most Raleigh places.

Maybe I should hit TriNOCon this weekend….

5. badger says:

Yes, I’ve read almost all of Edgar Rice Burroughs, most of Haggard, about 3/4 of the Doc Savage serials [1], etc. etc. Anthony Burgess once said “Owning books can become a substitute for reading them.” Don’t wait for an omnibus that won’t get printed :). Remember to hit both Reader’s Corner & Nice Price on Hillsborough St if you’re looking. trinoccon’s not really a good bet for used books: they’re massive and cheap, bad candidates for transporting cross-country. What you’ll find at SF cons used is the “rare” end of “used and rare”, meaning $5 apiece for a 75-cent cover price paperback. Signed copies tend to raise the price level too.
    [1] They’re short, but it’s hard to find the entire series. I mean, there’s 181 (not a typo) of them.

You make some very good points, as always. Perhaps I’ll just pick up the first in each series and see how they read.

I’d just get them in ebook format, but I’ve found that for reading novel length stuff, actual paper is much better than a palm or a computer screen