Re:

Went to mom & dad’s. The usual happened, although we did get to see the last bit of both football games. As a former Pittsburg resident, I can’t say I’m unhappy with that.

The we went to drive home. before we got out of the neighborhood, we saw a car, on the left-hand side, with their highbeams on. Well, OK, all we could see were high-beams. So we went to pass them.
Turns out she was stopped to try to help a cat that had been hit. Well, hit once. Apparently Renee hit it a second time. Well, ran over it. We stopped, I got out of the car, the woman was pissed, and the cat wasn’t dead yet. it was gonna *BE* dead, that was obvious. So I placed it on the roadside while the woman (kind hearted, but really, stupid for thinking that stopping and blinding oncoming traffic was a signal to *STOP*) went after a neighbor with a gun. I did what i could, and then left with Renee and the kids before the cat was put down.

They think I was the driver. Hopefully, the kids have no clue why we stopped. And thank the gods we were the *SECOND* hit, not the first.The fact that we added injury to injury isn’t much consolation, though.

The hardest part is realizing, that no matter how necessary, I was incapable of doing what had to be done. I could not bring myself to do it. That and the fact that i will see that cat’s face for a while. know what it’s fur felt like. And that even if we had gotten it to a vet, it would have died.

May it find peace, wherever it is now.

10 Responses to Re:

1. psychomagnet says:

How awful.

I really don’t know what else to say.

Just put a tag on Terminator & co. so that if something bad happens, you can find out. *IF* this cat has a home, it’s owner will never know what happened. Which may be a blessing, but still…

3. psychomagnet says:

You know, I’ve been meaning to do that for months now. Thank you for reminding me.

Give Renee a hug for me. It’s going to take a long time to get that out of your mind, I know. I hit a squirrel once, about 7 years ago, and I can still see it spinning around on the road, writhing in pain.

Horrible, horrible unavoidable stuff.

Renee doesn’t think she actually hit the poor thing. I’m not so sure, since I know what I saw, and felt. Either way, it’s generally unpleasant. At least she’s a former vet tech, and is better able to adjust to these things.

I, however, am not.

And if the divorce wouldn’t happen within the week, I’d be adopting one from the shelter as partial atonement. but I’ve already been told what will happen if I bring another cat into the house.

5. detritus says:

“I’ve already been told what will happen if I bring another cat into the house.”

Yeah, i tried that too. Have you met annie?

Were you the teller, or the one being told – there is a difference.

And anyway, any guy who thinks the girl doesn’t amke the rules is delusional. :)

Or maybe I’m just whipped *grin*

7. detritus says:

I was the teller. I remember it well. We were still at the shittytownhouse and I was getting out of the shower, laura comes into the bathroom with th eorange beast in her arms and I say “no, we can’t take in another cat.”

Well, then it turned into us keeping her until SAFE haven for cats had room in their no-kill shelter.

Then it turned into four cats for us.

I know there’s no point in me saying things like “no” but I have to at least make the effort.

8. wander says:

I always carry a big, sharp knife with me for among other things, laying to rest animals that are not quite dead yet from road strikes. I’ve had to put down a cow, a deer a skunk and a couple rabbits in the last ten years. It’s never pleasant but it sometimes has to be done. I also carry extra of certain crystals that I use to help the spirit pass on and not linger.

I had a cat encounter this weekend too. I’ll write more tomorrow on thatthough as mine is ongoing.

Hope you get the images out of your head soon.

Wander

9. detritus says:

I’ve heard that putting a struck animal in a paper bag and putting the bag to your exhaust is a less painful way to put down a fatal injury.

10. wander says:

Most animals I’ve had to deal with have been on the larger side. It’s hard to get a cow in a paper bag. Plus with wild animals out here, we have to worry about rabies so the less handling, the better. With a good sharp knife, you just lift the head and slit the throat and it’s over. For smaller animals and birds, it’s very quick to just break the neck. At the point where they’ve been hit by a car, chances are they are either beyond feeling pain or in so much pain that whatever you do for a death blow is not going to be felt much anyway. But whatever you do, it should be as fast as possible.