Laptop PAIN

This morning was kind of slow. Of course, it’s Monday meetings, so y’know how that goes.

Went to Asahi for lunch ( talked me into it – like it takes much). Mmm. Sweet Shrimp, Sea Urchin, and Spiced Tuna. Yeah, baby.

Came back, it’s still slow, so I decide to re-do the laptop.
Step one: delete all partitions. (2:15pm)
Step two: install Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. (2:30 until 3:30)
Step three: get slammed with calls (3:30 until 4:30pm)
Step four: restore most of home dir (during calls)
Step five: Get call form HELL (4:30pm)
Step six: get off call, realize what time it is(5:30pm)
Step seven: say screw it and go home

Leaving the addition of Red Hat Linux 9 until tomorrow. Tonight, though, I have to hack the wlan-ng drivers into working on the RHEL kernel (done!) and the vpn client to do the same (argh! it’s being a bitch).

6 Responses to Laptop PAIN

1. psychomagnet says:

WTF??? You went to Asahi WITHOUT ME?

*hmmph* some friend he is

2. jay says:

Nice.

Part of what I do involves… oh… staying “current”. Sadly my days run longer as a result…

So, imagine my glee when my spiffy Fujitsu Lifebook P2110 was rendered less than useful by staying “current”. When applying Office Updates for XP I managed to render any use of importing images as a sure fire way to bomb any office app. Oh, and I can’t save any Word file that doesn’t already exist as a template. Lovely stuff.

To remedy this, I am going to reinstall this bitch and also slap RH9 on it. My RH9 desktop workstation has been rock solid so far. I’m curious to see how RH9 performs on my wee lil laptop.

I was running RH73 on a A20P Thinkpad prior to this. It’s only problem was that it was a boat anchor.

Had I know you had Lunch today free, I would have called/emailed/im’ed (oh, wait, you avoid IM for good reason). And there’s no reason (other than the $28 I spent there today) not to go back later this week. hell, I could eat sushi 5 days a week, easy – if it weren’t for the price tag.

And anyway, I had to…um…test the quality to make sure it still lives up to your standards.

(Yeah, that’s it.)

So, what day (other than Thursday) works for you?

Yargh.

I expect that machine to do OK with 9. If you need assistance, though, just shout.

And 9 does ahve a few bumps. Not many, but there are one or two.

5. detritus says:

You should try Mandrake, or Debian. :P

6. psychomagnet says:

any day, just about

I usually have a meeting on Mondays from 1:30-2:30, so lunch has to be early which I’ve gathered you don’t do. Wednesdays I have a 2:00, so same concern. Otherwise, I usually just hit the gym at lunch so I feel like I’ve done at least one productive thing during the day.