And I jiggled it a little and….

Huzzah! I think FreeBSD might actually be installing from CD!

ONe step at a time….

6 Responses to And I jiggled it a little and….

1. gandalfgreyhame says:

Getting sick of that linux thing, eh? ;)

Well, if I can’t boot from CD, I need a distro that boots from floppy. That’s Debian and *BSD at this point.

FreeBSD didn’t see the PCMCIA and I have NO idea how to fix that, so debian today. And maybe point it at an ubuntu apt source if I can get the bloody network up.

3. jewelyaz says:

This is exactly why intelligent people like me are loath to even try Linux. I can hate Microsoft all I want (and after 6.5 years working there, I’ve seen some of the bad and much of the good) but Windows XP does usually install easily and cleanly. I think I’ve had exactly one difficult install, and that was because I was using an old version of XP with very new hardware; SP2 had all the required drivers and stuff on the CD but the original RTM did not. Booting from floppy? I don’t even think my latest computer HAS a floppy drive! :-)

Good luck and no hard feelings. Whatever ended up happening with your Scouts on the media day?

4. z_kungfu says:

Any word? Or are you playing WOW? Maybe Jacob can help with the PCMCIA thing as he is the BSD wiz…

Actually, the last 6 or 8 machines I put Linux one were fine – this particular beastie is a mid-90’s Pentium (i586, not p2 or p3) laptop that has seen better days. The CD Drive is literally in 2 pieces and I *THINK* the PCMCIA bridge conflicts with the IR port, assuming it’s not dead.

This is not a linux problem, per say, but a laptop problem. I mean, *HALF* the time the CD drive won’t read the disk, which is fine in my other system(s).

No word. Went out to visit family for the day. Needed to get out, and so did the kids.

For some reason Debian doesn’t see the hard drive, and refuses to load the PCMCIA drvier for the chipset. Wack. I’ll ping jacob tomorrow.