Someone on #trilug today said they found it odd that I felt there was more stress in sales than in my current position. And before I got too deep into it on IRC, I figured it’d be useful to catalog all the stress points I had in sales. So :
– 12 Reasons why I dislike/got stressed in sales –
(1) Money is the goal. Never forget that.
(2) You are ALWAYS worried about money.
(3) If you are the SE, you are not only sales, but consulting and technical support as well.
(4) There is NO real accomplishment in sales. You are only as good as your (or your team’s) forecast/pipeline.
(5) The customer only matters if you haven’t closed the deal or they’re a squeaky wheel.
(6) Public appearance & attitude is everything.
(7) You must be prepared to be a “team player” even if that conflicts with your morals, goals, and beliefs.
(8) Politics are everywhere. Know which asses to kiss, and always follow the chain of command.
(9) You are allowed to bitch as long as it’s only to other salespeople.
(10) Corollary to #8 & #9: Trust none of them.
(11) Hard work will be rewarded by the payout and more work. Failure will be rewarded by more work.
(12) Multiple Failures will be rewarded with termination unless you’re a manager. Then you’re likely to be promoted.
– 7 Reasons why I like my current job better –
(1) It is, for the most part, just a job.
(2) Show up, do your job, go home, and no-one gives you shit for it.
(3) More money would be nice, but the atmosphere makes up for it.
(4) Security matters for a reason.
(5) When you go home, there’s no need to stress over it until you come in the next day.
(6) We are all geeks here, in one way or another.
(7) Two Words : Government Job.