Hmmm, that was a bad idea

The Machine :
Sony Vaio PCG-Z505SZ with 128M RAM and Fedora Core 4
The Plan :
Boot Fedora Core 5 PXE kernel and run the upgrade over http
Estimated Time:
3-4 Hours
Actual Time:
26 hours and not done yet.

It only took 8 or 10 hours to resolve the dependencies. It’s been copying and upgrading files for the last 16. It thinks a whole lot between packages. Time to look at a new distro, maybe….

7 Responses to Hmmm, that was a bad idea

1. geekdaddy says:

Wow. It only took you 15 years. Do you want me to burn you a copy of Debian, or do you have closer resources?

More like 7, but still.

And no, not debian. I need software that’s newer than 2002, so maybe the debian-based Ubuntu or SUSE.

I just never seem to have gotten the hang of building deb files, and I’m trying to avoid the no-package-management nightmare….

3. clubjuggler says:

I haven’t gotten the hang of building .deb files either, but [K]Ubuntu actually has way much more than any other distro I’ve ever seen. (Hey, when you can install mythtv by doing “apt-get install mythtv” that’s pretty good!) I’d highly recommend it.

4. h_postmortemus says:

CentOS!

At the last TriLUG meeting I was working on installing Enlightenment on CentOS 4, which should prove to be really cool or intensely painful. Heh… Couldn’t finish before I had to take off and rescue my wife though.

I’ve got some centOS boxen. It’s pretty cool if you like RHEL..but this Ubuntu stuff is kicking some ass. And it’s not as hard on the ol’ laptop as the RPM based distros….

6. h_postmortemus says:

Ubuntu is definitely attractive.

If the laptop is that underpowered, you could always run DSL, :)

No CDRom, I can’t find the USB Floppy, and it doesn’t boot from USB Sticks. To get Ubuntu on it I had to copy the PXE boot kernels to the broken fedora install and boot them from grub. With DSL or any other setup I’d still have to do an HD install and Ubuntu, Fedora, and RHEL all make that EASY.

I suppose i could set up a PXE server on the CentOS3 server I’ve got….