At work

At work
At work,
originally uploaded by Kevin Sonney’s Pix.

On display at my desk

9 Responses to At work

1. gukacayuga says:

Excellent.

2. ext_5546 says:

Giggity!

3. chasman says:

Hey Scott.

I am not sure if you’re a unix guru or not, but I hope you are.

I’m trying to do a long listing of a file name expvmvoip070506100021.log

I have tried doing

ls -l expvmvoip’date +%m%d%y'[000000-999999].log

but that did not work.

the last six digits can be anything. I just need to match on any six digit string.

I’m not a regular expressions guru, but I hope you are :)

any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

(a) I’m not Scott *grin*
    (b) try this :

ls -l expvmvoip’date +%m%d%y’*.log

inline regex interpretation is going to be dependant on the type of shell in use and on which regex library is used. Much safer to use a shell wildcard or some other escape if at all possible.

I’m not a regex guru, but I know my way around several *nix flavors.

5. chasman says:

*checks your business card*

Damnit..Sorry, Kevin.

I tried that earlier, and it did not work.

6. chasman says:

Looks like I almost have it.

ls -l | grep -E expvmvoip*[0-9]{12}.log

for some reason the following doesnt work

ls -l | grep -E expvmvoip’date +%m%d%y'[0-9]{12}.log

Does the second one work if you echo the expression at all? In other words, is the date eval but working?

If this is bash, try doing a $(date +%m%d%y) instead of the quoted version.

And on the second one, the {12} should probably be {6}, but I doubt that’s the issue. If you just take the first and | grep expvoip$(date +%m%d%y) that might get it.

8. chasman says:

Damn you’re good!
    Thanks, Scott Kevin.

Nah, just lots and lots of time spent mucking with grumpy scripts. And a Little bash-fu goes a long way.