Farewll friend

Bruce the Cat died last night, and I found & buried him tonight.

Shortly after our neighbor moved into her new house in Moncure in 1998, her cat came to visit. (That cat, I might add, was the closest to Retarda-kitty I’ve ever met in real life). R left out some food for him, thinking it was a stray. He went home but a black & white tomcat decided he’d like the free food, so he moved onto the porch. After realized he wasn’t leaving I named him Bruce ‘cause he looked like a Bruce.

Bruce was most likely a house pet that went feral. When he moved onto our porch, he was dull, and missing teeth. He didn’t wash often, and loved a dustbath.

When we were packing and moving to Pittsboro, he made himself scarce. We almost left him behind, and were afraid we’d lost him. *JUST* before we locked the house in Moncure for the last time he showed up and let R catch him and move him to the new house.

He promptly disappeared for three days after the move. Once he came home, he spent the last five years keeping the lizard and mouse population under control. And leaving the occasional present for us for keeping his bowl full and giving him a warm place to sleep.

The last few years, his coat has gotten softer, glossier, and he was taking care of himself. He was still short teeth, but it didnt’ slow him down a bit.

He’s buried out back, with a rosebush planted over him as a marker. I buried him where he died, under a cedar tree, after R and I said goodbye.

Godspeed my friend. You’ll be missed.

8 Responses to Farewll friend

1. susan_z says:

i’m sorry that Bruce the Cat died. i’m glad that you were able to provide a safe base of operations for him, and i’m also glad that you could give him a final resting place. *hug*

2. the_zeitzev says:

That sucks. I’m sorry, m8.

3. ferociousbcycad says:

sounds like he was a good soul.

4. h_postmortemus says:

Sounds like he had a good life.

5. tau_sagittarii says:

I am just now posting my response b/c I am slow to read people’s old stories. I really like this one. Warm, a little sentimental, but to the point focussing on the *real*. I love cats. I have 2 now, but my fav of all my kitties, Gucci, a Siamese died on 11-9-2004 after 19 1/2 years of friendliness, warmth, joy and wonder. She was my treasure. I keep her ashes in a little urn that’s decorated with all kinds of cats on the outside. I used the pet crematorium located in Jamestown, NC tucked between Greensboro and High Point. They had all kinds of urns, but the ones with kitties on the outside was the best. It even had a carved saying on the inside written in French about cats. I tried to decipher but never got very far cuz the handwriting was a little difficult to read. Dogs & cats are special to us. I’ve had a lot, but none like my Gucci. I can feel your loss even now, & it brings back some good memories of my dear one.

He’s still out back, although Cowboy (who died last Spring) and Damien (who died in ’02) were cremated and are kept close by. Both were lap cats, and close to my heart.

My Vet, thankfully, has a contact with a crematorium and gets a good price.

Of course, I’ve since gone from one cat (Emily) to seven (Emily, Sami, Nikki, Winston, Cassie, Marv, and Bandit). Two (Bandit and Cassie) really need better homes since they aren’t getting the interaction they need with so much competition…

7. tau_sagittarii says:

Sounds like you could open your own petting zoo!

It’s getting there, I’m afraid. *grin*