Quote of the Morning

And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

— T. S. Eliot, “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”

6 Responses to Quote of the Morning

1. the_zeitzev says:

I think, Kevin, you should have been a pair of ragged claws.

2. moonfl0wer says:

i was just thinking something similar. ow.

this is one of my favourite poems, though. thanks, kev, for spreading a little beauty…

Do I Dare
    Disturb the Universe?

Eliot made me fall in love with modern poetry. Prufrock was the introduction. From Eliot I discovered Frost, and from there, their contemporaries.

Lately I’ve been interested in Billy Collins, who writes some very, very good stuff. But I always come back to Prufrock.

Do I dare to eat a peach?

5. apathychild says:

Didja know my employer published a lot of early Billy Collins? Or that he’s pretty much singlehandedly responsible for our continued solvency as a business? Picnic, Lightning may be our biggest seller. (Now, if I can just rig it so I get your name in the Christmas gift exchange… ;) )

Actually, yes, I did notice the Publisher tag but wasn’t going to ask for favors or anything *grin*.

If you havent’ taken the time, listen to the Audiobook of “The Best Cigarette” – One of my favorites.