Even more wildlife

It would appear a field mouse has found it’s way into the haven that is our humble home.

The cats are doing nothing about this.

I wonder if you can get mouse-sized have-a-heart traps….

9 Responses to Even more wildlife

1. jay says:

Yes, they make them and they are based on simple ramps and light springs.

They work pretty well too but remember that the metabolism of a mouse means it can die without water/food if you don’t check the trap regularly.

2. detritus says:

My alarm clock this morning was squirrles in the attic (along with the cats jumping all over me to get at them) and a woodpecker drilling the house right at my head.

He was in the master bathroom I only spend more time in one other room – the master bedroom.

I’ll catch the bastard this weekend.

It went something like this :

– Man Enters bathroom.
    – Man starts shower to get hot water to second floor.
    – Man drops trau
    – Man Notices mouse in the cat food
    – Mouse notices nearly naked man and goes back to eating
    – Man goes looking for box to catch mouse in
    – Clip Reel of comedy follows as Man tries to catch Feild Mouse. Note that mouse is faster than man and can jump REALLY far.
    – Mouse tries to exit bathroom. Encounters Cat and Dog outside door.
    – Mouse retreats to bathroom. Cat ignores mouse.
    – New Clip Reel of Comedy.
    – Man loses track of mouse.
    – Very paranoid man takes shower.

5. detritus says:

You win at nude rodent chasing.

6. apathychild says:

During the Great Mouse Disaster some years back, my father used the Have-a-hearts with great success, especially once we started baiting them with peanut butter.

7. murriel says:

The Clip Reel of Comedy only gets better when the cat decides to play with the mouse instead of catching it, like mine did a few years ago…

8. h_postmortemus says:

yeah, they do. Just a little plastic box with a hair-trigger lid that pops down. I’ve used them before.
    And I’ve had mice retrieve the cheese without triggering them.
    I did retrieve a mouse one time and release him.
    The other mouse died, probably from a) panic or b) drowning in his own waste. Hint: Unless its a BIG box, the mouse will have a heart attack.

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with the humane traps. My cats do a good job with the outside mice and voles. I caught a big mouse the other weak with a traditional back-smashing trap. Those are pretty humane in that death is instant.

Glue traps, now THOSE are inhumane. I made the mistake of using one of those once and had to finish the poor bastard off.

Now, flying squirrels, those require an expert…

9. apathychild says:

Snap traps seem to be very humane for mice, but I got a squirrel in one and that was definitely not pretty. Whereas I’ve seen lots of mice come out of the humane traps alive (sometimes several times, before we took them far enough away that they couldn’t find their way home). As with everything else, your mileage may vary.