After Dinner Horror

Made my most excellent meatloaf for dinner. Must be doing something right when the kids ask for seconds. And there’s enough left for meatloaf sandwiches.

So, in a Fat, Dumb, and Happy stupor I decide I’ll finally do some reading on Ruby. You know, finally see what the hoopla is all about.

Now I’ve done some programming in my time. I know more than one programming language. And I’ve worked with some pretty screwed up things. So can someone please tell me, then :

What the HELL are these guys SMOKING when they decided to create this abomination??

Ruby may be the biggest practical joke in programming since Visual J++.

I think I’ll go see if the kitten wants to play. The scouring of skin from my hand might actually make the pain in my brain stop…

13 Responses to After Dinner Horror

1. clubjuggler says:

Ruby? Or Ruby on Rails?

2. anonymous says:

Just Ruby. I’m not sure I *WANT* to look at Ruby on Rails since things like function definition and syntax are going to be unchanged. But if you say it’s worth a look, I’ll add it to my list of things to take a look at…

Dammit, my login token expired.

How is Ruby on Rails different from “normal” Ruby?

4. clubjuggler says:

Actually, I don’t know either so I can’t answer your question. You probably want to ask about that. I was just curious. I have resisted trying to learn Ruby as it seems like just the latest fad. (Hell, I haven’t even learned python yet…)

5. bzial says:

I’m curious. What do you think of say, Lisp?

6. bzial says:

That is a might viceral reaction. I haven’t seen that much hatred toward a programming language in a long time. What about Ruby bugs you so much? I know there are certain aspects of it that are more functional in nature and that can bug people (there seems to be heavy overlap in the anti-Lisp/anti-Ruby crowd).

As for Rails it really is just a MVC framework that uses Ruby.

There are some nice assumptions they’ve made in Rails that can contribute a lot to efficiency but the baseline I’m using in talking about that are mostly your typical Java MVC style frameworks..which well aren’t exactly the paradigm of actual productive efficiency to begin with.

I’m not particularly in love with Rails or Ruby, though I would like to see certain aspects of Rails integrated into other MVC. I’m not convinced that all that much is going to come of Ruby or Rails (at least here in the States it is a bit more popular in Japan where it was created) simply because I think have the hoopla from Rails is because of the concerted efforts of 37Signals affiliated programmers to promote it.

I also tend to think that it promotes a programming style a bit outside the styles utilized by most popular languages though I think it would have greater promise for certain niche applications.

7. anonymous says:

A. Give me the recipe.
    B. Rex told me what he wants for Christmas, he’s describing an ipod.
    What happened to my 7 year old that wanted a bike?
    PS If I send you my gif for my id can you make it work? I have no friggin clue what I’m doing. Don’t even know where my “logon id” of IPFreely would be. THINK I have the animated gif though, I hope so. If not, whatever, I’ll just be krazeechelle, either works.

PS Did I mention I can’t believe Rex asked me for an ipod? That’s what he’s describing. He’s 9. Um, when did this happen Kev?

I’m sure Ruby has it’s place, just like Lisp (which, as far as I can tell is inside emacs) but both have some syntaxic foibles that mke them unsuited for anything but their niche.

I’m just not sure Ruby has the right niche…

Ruby was created in Japan? You know, that explains so much about the structure and syntax. And I’m sorry, “yeild”? That little tidbit about had me laughing on the floor….

10. clubjuggler says:

(there seems to be heavy overlap in the anti-Lisp/anti-Ruby crowd).

Are those crowds together? I don’t think I got that memo.

I really love lisp. It’s a great language for what it was designed to do. Some things go much better in Lisp (like the one time I wrote a program to write sensible musical chord sequences in Lisp) but sadly not so much besides emacs these days.

11. bzial says:

In general I’ve seen a lot of ‘Ruby sucks it reminds me of everything I disliked about Lisp’ from a lot of people though I’ve also seen a lot of ‘Ruby sucks…Lisp does a lot of what it is trying to do..but better’ noise as well. So there is simultaneously a ‘anti-Lisp/anti-Ruby’ and ‘pro-Lisp/anti-Ruby’ factions. ;)

12. bzial says:

You know I never even blinked twice at that.

Maybe that is why it doesn’t bug me nearly as much, I spent immersed in Korean and Japanese, maybe that is why the syntax doesn’t seem nearly as weirdass to me…or maybe it comes from messing with Perl first, I don’t know.

Though I do think it odd that the big thing they are promoting Ruby with is Rails versus something else that would take better advantage of the nature of the language. Though, who knows, I have a friend who is a hardcore Haskell programmer of all things and is trying to evangelize for it…takes all kind I think.

As far as some of the newer ‘trendy’ languages or what have you, I think that Python lends itself better to most people’s styles and the predominant problem domains that people deal with though. Granted, I’m going more in a bioinformatics direction myself and so have been focusing a lot more on Perl lately..which of course doesn’t have to be a montrosity but often is. ;)

13. bzial says:

Just a note: Not saying Ruby is like Perl just that both can involve syntax wackiness in completely distinct ways.