Getting it out of my system.

OK, this is something I’ve been thinking about for two weeks, and I need to get it out of my head and onto some medium. I apologize, since this may offend some of you.

Dear Christian Conservatives (you know who you are) : I’s OK to be Gay and Christian. Gay people do not need healing, saving, curing, or behavior modification any way different than heterosexuals do.

Do us all a favor, and remember that the New Covenant applies to *ALL* things unclean, and not just to the rules you don’t like. After much pondering, the only “sinful behavior” I can find falls into the realm of adultery/promiscuity – and as a heterosexual, I’ve been guilty of that one (prior to my marriage, before anyone panics, thanks). So let’s all take a chill pill, and remember none of us are perfect, and Christ gave himself for everyone, regardless of race, color, sexuality, age, or financial bracket.

Look guys, there are a lot bigger problems and “attacks on American Values” than two men (or women) who are in a loving relationship. Statistically speaking today, it’s more likely a committed homosexual couple will stay together than a heterosexual couple. So please, let’s remember something – Christ had strong words for the self-rightous, for the judgmental, and for the Priests and Pharisees who were more interested in the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law.

If two consenting adults want to get married, I say “Go for it.” And let’s give them the blessings (and legal status) they deserve and let them get on with their lives.

To all my gay friends, friends of friends, and so on – I love you all (in a totally non-sexual way. Nothing personal, I just don’t swing that way), and hope that more people can get over it already. If I EVER say anything that you take issue with, speak up. Correct me, and help me understand where I’m getting it wrong. And hey, God loves you too, just the way you are. And don’t let ANYONE tell you any different.

6 Responses to Getting it out of my system.

1. dr_scholl says:

Amen!

2. ext_29270 says:

This particular subject has been one of my biggest beefs about most religious groups. Often those groups institutionalize pretty heinious bigotry. But, I hate to say it, religion in general promotes demonizing people. There are good folks out (such as yourself) that buck this trend, but I am afraid you are the exception.

I have family and my wife has family that are homosexual. Most people have family members who are homosexual. Her dad (who is bisexual, leaning heavily toward men) has been with the same guy for 15 years. I suspect his love for his partner will not destroy anyone’s family values. And… he has been a fantastic dad to his 3 kids.

Monica and I almost didn’t get married because we wanted to maintain solidarity with her dad who couldn’t get married. But… we caved.

Adultry: there is debate as to what the Christian Bible considers adultry. There are some who feel the original interpretation is that adultry is specific to a man having sex with a married woman (ie. she is the now soiled property of another man) whereas a man having sex with an unmarried woman is either not a sin or a minor one. Of course, modern Christians won’t have any of that. ;)

Anyway. You are my friend Kevin, but I am not a friend to religion. No offense intended towards you Kevin. Too much heartache and bloodshed committed in His name.

-todd

3. clubjuggler says:

Sometimes I wish these people would just remember “judge not, lest you be judged” a bit better. Christ called Christians to love everyone, not just the ones they agree with.

4. clubjuggler says:

I disagree with this. I think the majority of religion does just the opposite. Unfortunately, it’s the vocal minority that everyone hears about, not the quiet ones that just live their life as an example.

5. anonymous says:

Agreed. If you think about it, Christianity in its purest form is specifically about replacing an intolerant and impossible system with one that embraces every human being, regardless of who they are or what they’ve done. It’s amazing how some Christians try to make it the opposite.

The way I see it, many people have convictions about how they ought to live. I myself don’t have a conviction, as some Christians do, about not seeing PG-rated movies or listening to rock music, and just as I see no reason to listen to the people who tell me not to do those things, I don’t expect those who don’t feel the convictions I do to live by my rules.

Of course this is not to say that there are no sins (I think we do have the right and the responsibility as a society to draw the line at murder, and the like) or that God has never told a Christian to confront a non-Christian about his or her behavior. But making a personal statement of belief is different from forcing someone else to accept it. The same people who defend their right to judge under freedom of speech and religion have to accept that those freedoms have to apply to everyone or no one.

6. ext_29270 says:

You may be right, but it’s hard to discern from all the bloodshed throughout history and the overt preaching of bigotry that I have heard my whole life in various churches. Things are changing in the US though. Interracial marriage is more accepted now, even by religious folks. Maybe homosexuality will be more accepted in a similar vein.

As homosexuality is more accepted by the majority of the population, the uber-religious may turn around as well. The moslem world, if taken in it’s entirety, has regressed it seems. People of that faith used to be far ahead of Christians in progressive thinking. That apparears to be less of a case now. Of course, we shouldn’t judge a faith by it’s militant wing. But “mainstream” Christians and “mainstream” Muslims still frighten me to a degree.

I wonder how many churches spoke out against Brokeback Mountain. How many “mainstream” church leaders spoke out about that movie? I don’t know, but I would be curious.

Hard not to be judgemental of the judgemental, but I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt. I do on the individual level, but here in the south especially, it is hard to not be suspicious of the institutions.

We’ll see.