Dear Dell Computers…

Dear Dell Support :
– Firmware flashes should not require FLOPPIES in this day and age – especially when shipping sans Floppy is an option.
– Also, said floppy should not only support Drives A, C, D, E, F
– Modern Server boxes should at least have the option of booting from USB disks
– If you can’t do that, at east give out a boot CD to handle things.

There is a server in my room upstairs that is getting flashed tonight, like it or not.

7 Responses to Dear Dell Computers…

1. katzj says:

Dell has tools for doing BIOS updates from Linux for most of their server line I believe… http://linux.dell.com should have all the details.

2. deviant_ says:

More of what Jeremy mentioned at http://fwupdate.com.

Linux won’t boot from the harddrive….we’re getting lockups that we suspect are related to the firmware update. And the Linux utility to update the firmware requires xterm.

Yes, xterm. Hard coded into the application.

Trust me, I tried linux. I tried really hard. but there’s no RHEL 3 liveCD, and I didn’t have an ubuntu livecd on me.

Although Ultimate Boot CD is an AMAZING tool kit, and it still didn’t get me where I need to go. *sigh*

Those tools are BIOS Only. I’m doing a PERC 4e/Di firmware update.

5. katzj says:

Doh. It was worth a shot.

Can you pxe boot the box? If so, pxelinux + memdisk can work quite nicely

6. labrown says:

Do you really think exposing yourself to the server will help?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. It’s been that kinda day.

It’ll be faster to put in a floppy drive and just flash it.

The rack doesn’t use PXE (for good reason). Although I might add it to a customized Ultimate Boot CD for other boxes