The Plan – One week to go

OK, with one week until Renee moves out, I’m starting the grand plan. It starts out something like this:

– Renee Moves out Easter Monday (4/9)
– I clean up/out the room over the garage, and convert that into a big bedroom for the boys
– I clean out Jake’s current room and turn it into an office
– I clean out Ray’s current room and turn it into a guest bedroom (this will require painting, and a bed, I suppose)
– I return the current “office/compter dumping ground” into a walk-in closet
– Begin decorating/redecorating the living room.

The first two have to be done before Thursday (4/12). So I dunno if I’m getting out next week or not.

I’ll feed anyone who comes over and helps. Hell, I’ll even provide crash space if you need it. The other stuff can happen over the next week or two. I really want an office again.

I’m also starting a “need to replace” list for things she’s taking with her. This includes :
– Washer/drier
– end tables
– bedside lamps

If you’ve got any of THOSE items you’re looking to part with, I am interested in giving them a good home.

28 Responses to The Plan – One week to go

1. dr_scholl says:

The first two have to be done before Thursday (4/12).

Why?

Because the kids come to stay with me Thursday night, and I want to make sure that it’s DONE and ready for them before they come home.

3. meiow says:

I hate to say this… but are you sure that getting rid of the kids’ rooms will be best? As a child of divorce, my room was my sanctuary. It was a sense of stability in an otherwise turbulent surroundings. Maybe you could ask them what they think? It would have devastated me, but then I’m an odd girl.

4. meiow says:

I guess I should add to this: I’m here to help! Lemme know where and when, and I’ll be there.

(but, again, my inner kid is having a cow at the thought of finally coming home and finding my bedroom has been turned into an office)

Actually, they’re very excited. Jake gets a “real” bed, and Ray gets a “bigger” bed. Plus they ahve to share a room at Mommy’s house, so for a while it’ll be OK for them to share at mine.

Plus Jake never “bonded” with his room, so it’s not that big a deal.

(and that reminds me – I have to check to see if there’s a TV cable outlet in there for the cablemodem)

Ray has been asking for a remodel in his room for a while – when Renee did it originally, it was for someone who was 3-5, not 8.

Plus they spend almost no time in their rooms – they’re either in whatever room I’m in, the playroom, or my room.

Yes, my room, and that’s ONE reason I’m doing it this way is so that MAYBE they won’t think of my bedroom as another TV/Play room. I’m establishing boundaries, which I’ve noticed they don’t have when Mommy is home.

I hope that changes at her house, too.

7. kitashla says:

Oh yeah, you need those bounderies.

I got a little forceful with Sean a couple of months ago that I no longer wanted the children in our bedroom. He was willing to let them go in there whenever he was in there. Of course they would mess it up (and then I’d have to clean it up) and honestly, it was just too much.

You need one room where there aren’t any kids, one room that is your space, one room for sanity. Since we put the stereo and record player in our room he’s been following my rule more often.

I spend all day with the kids, I need one place where I can go where I have space and can breathe.

You need that too. Everyone does.

I think it’s a really good idea.

8. meiow says:

Okay – that works, then. Lemme know where to go and when, and I’ll be ready to help! :)

9. z_kungfu says:

Sounds like a plan. What’s the theme for their room gonna be? I got some decorating ideas…

Well, Ray wanted Spongebob, and Jake likes Pixar’s Cars, so I hadn’t really thought themes.

Maybe just cars in general. What were you thinking?

One of the big issues has been her reluctance to “let go” of Jake. Hell, even on nights when he actually fell asleep in his own bed, she would BRING HIM TO OUR BED.

So yeah, that’s DONE in my house. Kids sleep in the kids room, I sleep in mine. And maybe the office is shared space, and the playroom/bedroom is shared space, but I’m a grownup, and need “Daddy Space”

Which is something I lost a few years back, I think.

12. z_kungfu says:

Bummer that Lowe’s stopped the NIckelodian colors. One thing I was thinking was murals of their favorite stuff. Trains, Cars, Spongebob, whatever. And cool colors.

Oh, cool idea, and there’s a LOT of wallspace.

And who needs Nick-brand colors? Yellow is yellow, red is red. Pink is Pink. We could still do it. Although the “outgrow” concern pops back up.

But it would be cool to gave Pokemon and Power Rangers and Trains and Cars all in one picture….

I’m going to start Easter Monday, so I’ll have more complete info as we get closer to S-Day.

And you know what? In a lot of ways I’m looking forward to it.

15. z_kungfu says:

Actually there is a big difference in being able to get the colors right. I may still have some of the color chips. and they told me if I had the chips they could still do the colors. I also have an overhead projector to get the images up on the walls.

16. zombiepops says:

i’ve got a couple of them around still i think. I’ve atleast still got part of a can of the jimmy neutron atomic vomit green.

17. dr_scholl says:

What about doing cool colors, but going for characters with accents – like bedspreads and lamps. May save you from a major re-paint in a year or two…

We could do mural that starts on one end of the room as the beach, and ends in a city…that would be cool…

19. moonfl0wer says:

crap. whereas usually mondays are my day off and i’d be happy to help, t’s dad flies in next week, and that day is going to be filled with errands and dr.’s appointments and even a couple hours of work. :/

sorry. please keep us posted if you’re going to be needing any further help. or hugs. that sort of thing.

Shit, Monday is just Day One. I know it’ll continue into Days Two and Three, since I just got word she’s not taking much of the kids stuff with her. So I may need to sort and clean out EVERYTHING before we can get to the moving & painting…

21. clubjuggler says:

Rather than painting you might look into getting some wallpaper borders. We put one up in B’s room of airplanes and one of baseball in my office. And for our playroom we found one that you turn sideways and it ends up being medieval castles. You might be able to find some interesting stuff like that and it would be a heck of a lot easier than painting.

22. moonfl0wer says:

well, that whole week is going to be nut’s with the Dad in town. ;) BUT…should the painting, etc. last into the following weekend, definitely let me know.

Minro change – it’s not goig to be an office, it’s gonna be my studio. I think I’m gonna set the thing up for digital media creation and editing.

5 days to go!

Oh, it will. The first push is for the kids’ space. After that, I have a studio to re-assemble, a guest bedroom to remodel, and a walk-in closet to restore. Dunno how much of that the kids can help with, but we’ll see. *grin*

25. katann23 says:

I have a washer and dryer that are sitting collecting dust in my basement. My duplex came with a set, so I’ve not needed them. They are only a couple years old and in good condition. I’d rather see them being used than to have them rot away in the basement. I have no way to transport them, however. Give me a holler if you are interested.

Now you tell me *grin*. I’m picking up a pair I found on craigslist this evening. However, if they happen to be crap, I’ll be calling you next.

Thanks!

27. katann23 says:

*Smirk* I just saw you needed them, I can’t help that I’m not that efficient at noticing these things! :P

But they are yours if something doesn’t work out with the ones you are getting.

I’ll let you know if I find anything else wonderful or curious about my duplex. I am currently in purge mode.

excellent. I think I’m getting a torch lamp from Leann, and so all I really need is an end table or two for the living room.