I blame my friend Mo

One of My Cub parents is Lebanese. Mohammed is a GREAT guy, a hell of a parent, a fantastic Scout Leader, and always – ALWAYS – giving. I count myself very lucky to know him and his family.

One of the things Mo introduced me to is properly done Mediterranean Coffee. With that hint of Cardamom. So now I must make my own because it’s that’s good. Unfortunately, I can’t find the traditional pot (briki) to make it properly. An Italian Stovetop Espresso pot makes good coffee, so why not? Now to get some cardamom.

Cardamom isn’t a run-of-the-mill spice. Not something, say, Food Lion or Lowes Foods in Pittsboro carries. And then the price : 1.75oz of the stuff is $12. So I splurge – thinking this better work, ’cause it’s going to be the most expensive coffee mistake I’ve made if it doesn’t.

Set up the Espresso Pot. Put in half the grounds, add MAYBE 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom (it’s REALLY strong so a little goes a long way), and then the rest of the grounds. Make espresso. Smells good.

Tastes just as good. Rock and Roll!

I blame Mo. And thank him at the same time. but I still need a briki…

15 Responses to I blame my friend Mo

1. murriel says:

Whenever you need more cardamom, try http://www.penzeys.com. They have the whole pods, seeds and ground for LOTS cheaper than what you can get in the store. And they have 3 different kinds of cardamom.

Enjoy!

2. thebroomecloset says:

Sounds great. Is there anything else added other than cardamon? I don’t drink coffee very often, but I’ve recently been adding cinnamon when I do make some thanks to since that’s how he made it for us when I was out in CA.

A quick A9 search shows that Amazon thinks the pot you’re looking for is called an “ibrik” … and they’d be happy to ship one to you. *grin*

3. apathychild says:

Speaking of local delicacies, this reminds me — there’s a rumor that a grocery store in Grant, NC stocks Iron City beer. I think it was the Food Lion. I’m assured that Grant is near Pittsboro, and it might be worth a couple of phone calls to find out.

4. clamnebula says:

I have a briki myself (actually I have the Greek version, an ibrik), but I can’t remember where I got it from. I bet Southern Season in Chapel Hill would have something like that.

5. clamnebula says:

I think I’ve seen Iron City beer in Harris-Teeters around here. They generally have a better beer selection than Food Lion, so you might give them a call, too.

6. apathychild says:

Now that I think about it, Harris Teeter sounds right. And more likely.

7. mossy says:

Yeah, Russians also make coffee in the same way… I brought my “ibrik” (“kofeinik”) from Russia with me, and even though I haven’t used it for years it’s still somewhere among my stuff.

$24 for one of these seems hella expensive though.

I might dig mine out and make some proper coffee soon… I hadn’t realised how much I had missed it until your post. Thanks for that!! Oh, and try a little cinnamon and clover with it. ;)

Oh, the Harris Teeter I can get to. It’s just past Renee’s house on 15-501. It also might be worth checking the Teeter next to your work at 54 & Fayetteville Rd.

Oh, and last I checked, Sammy’s At Mission Valley (Shopping Center at the corner of Avent Ferry Rd. & Western Blvd. in Raleigh) had Iron City ON TAP, and runs Steelers Games since they’re a Pittsburgh friendly bar…

When I try new recipes that use exotic stuff, I buy local and if I like it, buy bulk after. Plus I’m into instant food gratification *grin*

When this stuff runs out, I know where to get it now. Thanks!

I expect that would be the Turkish and Greek influences in Russia bringing it across. Those crazy Ottomans….

I’m not a big fan of Cinnamon in my coffee. Hadn’t thought of Clover, but am now considering some proper cocoa powder for a more robust Mocha.

Although Cinnamon and Cardamom in the same batch could be…interesting.

Since I will probably be using the ibrik long past when the cardamom runs out, paying $24 doesn’t sound that bad – unless I can find it for less *grin*

11. akiko says:

I was going to suggest that, myself, because I saw some there when I was looking for other things. They ranged about $20-50, IIRC. They’re on the same shelf as the nifty Chemex pots and the French presses, but closer to the floor.

I’ve also seen them at Med Deli on Franklin St for a bit cheaper.

12. ryeth says:

I learned how to make a mango lassi recently (fresh mango, high quality vanilla yogurt, cardamon & ice in a blender if you are curious) – so I like the flavor of cardamon.

You mentioned an espresso pot, not to sound ignorant (which is kinda funny considering the *huge* espresso machine we’ve got, haha) but what is an espresso pot? Would the cardamon trick work in a regular coffee maker? we can’t add it to our espresso machine… Oh and is it a particular type of coffee?

Another really good drink is something I discovered at the medeteranian restaruant on 9th street. Get sage tea & mix in honey… mmmm.

The Italians make a Stovetop Espresso pot – basically, as the water boils it pushes it up through the grounds, then into a resevoir on TOP of the water chamber. Here’s the on I got for $15 At World Market

I’m using plain-jane JFG. The Espresso pot makes even bargain coffee taste wow.

I’ve not had as much luck adding spices to drip coffee, but you can try.

14. detritus says:

The recipes for thai iced coffee that i just found mentioned cardamom also. I love the stuff, didn’t realize there was anything other than sweetened condensed milk in there.